Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

REMEMBERING PRINCESS DIANA!




It was my English friend Angie who shared her fascination with Princess Diana nearly twenty-five years ago.  I hadn’t paid much attention to British royalty, but I was curious about why Angie found her so interesting.  I quickly learned that it had a lot to do with her genuineness, her love of children, and her willingness to take on causes that many wouldn’t think of, including AIDS.  She was the “people’s princess” and she went everywhere to honor them.

When my friend lived in Portsmouth and Princess Diana came to the city for a visit, Angie took her children to get a glimpse of her.  Princess Diana was pre-occupied with dignitaries, but Angie, with her usual persistence, waved a box of Smarties and pointed to her children.  Diana, without hesitation, walked over to her and greeted her family. It was a natural thing for her to do.

On July first, it will be 51 years since Diana’s birth.  In 2007, on the tenth anniversary of her tragic death, her sons William and Harry held a special concert to raise money for charities that she supported.

To honor her, I’d like to share some of her memorable quotes:

“Anywhere I see suffering, that is where I want to be, doing what I can.”

“Every one of us needs to show how much we care for each other and, in the   
 process, care for ourselves." 

“Hugs can do great amounts of good—especially for children.”

“Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the 
knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you." 

“I don’t go by the rule book. . . I lead from the heart, not the head.”

“I knew what my job was; it was to go out and meet the people and love them.”

 "Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society.  It is a goal and an essential part of my life--a kind of destiny.  Whoever is in distress can call me.  I will come running wherever they are."

     “Only do what your heart tells you.'

Years ago, Mr. Rogers, the American television personality who loved
children, as Diana did, said:  "The thing I remember best about successful 
people is their obvious delight in what they're doing and it seems to have
very little to do with wordly success. They just love what they're doing, and
they love it in front of others."  He went on to add, "The greatest gift you 
ever give is your honest self. "  Diana reflected that, as did Fred Rogers.    





***A postscript--A few days ago I attended the Princess Diana exhibit at the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota.  It was a wonderful four-month tribute to the unique, kind, compassionate person Diana was.  The exhibit was in Minnesota for four months and now goes back to England for Diana's birthday July 1.  It will return to America after that for another tour of different cities.  I'm including a photograph I took at the end of the event, which was very moving for many of us.  For any who might have a chance to visit this exhibit in the future, I think you'll long remember it.***
  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the quotes and remembering the princess. The memories you have shared and the photos taken were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for your comments. Today I went to the Princess Diana exhibit at the Mall of America in the Twin Cities. It was wonderful--very moving. It made me appreciate her more than ever.

      Delete